The Fiscal Challenge is a registered 501(c)(3) educational non-profit founded in 2013 by Prof. Mike Aguilar. The competition has been operating at the collegiate level since its founding, and expanded to high schools in 2016. Over 40 schools have participated nationally and internationally, and our organization has received ample press coverage, as well as recognition from Journal of Economic Education Vol. 46, Iss. 3, pgs 285-299.
Enhance students’ understanding of fiscal policy through the use of experiential education.
There is a gap in most economic curricula. Fiscal policy does not get sufficient attention. Taxes, Spending, the National Debt, and Deficit are critical elements of advanced macroeconomic models, but are even more important drivers of our everyday lives. A proper understanding of fiscal policy will help our students grow as scholars, become more informed citizens, and possibly become policymakers themselves.
What We Do
We bring the Classroom to Capitol.
The Fiscal Challenge hosts an annual competition wherein teams of students from around the country devise and defend their own plans for putting (or keeping) the U.S. on a sustainable fiscal path.
How It Works
- Form a team with your classmates.
- Work during the semester to write a detailed plan to achieve the policy goal for the competition.
- Send the plan to our review board.
- We pick the finalists and fly them to Washington D.C.
- We fill the room with the press and policy analysts from top think tanks who serve as judges.
- Present and defend your plan in front of the judges.
With gracious support from Hamilton Place Strategies
We need your help to cover travel and lodging expenses for our competitors.
We are seeking one-time donations or continuing contributions.
The Fiscal Challenge is a registered 501(c)(3) non profit organization.
How to Donate
- Tax ID: 47-2061726
- Please make checks payable to “Fiscal Challenge”, 115 Tuckers Pond Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27516.
- Be sure to include a letter with your name, address, phone number, email address, and donation amount, so we can show our gratitude for your support.